Gardein Fishless Filets may be my favorite of the Gardein product line. They’re super convenient to grab from the freezer on a busy weeknight, and I love the slightly greasy, crispy batter and the flaky inside texture. It’s not exactly like a real fish filet, but it’s about as close as I’ve experienced. Usually I’ll prepare them simply with some spicy mayo, a lemon wedge and some vegetables. But this week, I decided to do something a bit more special and make some classic “fishless” tacos.
Fishless tacos are about simplicity, texture and brightness of flavor. In this recipe, the crunchy, vinegar bite of the cabbage blends nicely with the creamy, spicy chipotle sauce. Chipotles pack some heat, so if you prefer, go with a milder traditional salsa, a mango version or just reduce the amount of chipotle in the recipe.
I’ve been able to find Gardein products in the frozen section in both U.S. and Canadian health food stores, Whole Foods Market and traditional grocery stores.
In addition to this light and easy taco meal, Gardein Fishless Filets are great on a sandwich with cole slaw.
Have you tried Gardein products? What did you think?
- 1 10oz package of Gardein Fishless Filets
- 6 small flour tortillas
- 1 c non-dairy sour cream (I use Tofutti)
- 1 chipotle in adobo (start with ½ of one if you prefer less spicy)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- juice of one lime
- ¼ c water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 t agave nectar
- 1 t salt
- 1 c red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 c red onion, thinly sliced
- optional garnish: fresh cilantro, guacamole, salsa, lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare Gardein filets according to package instructions, cooking 10-12 minutes per side. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine apple cider vinegar, agave nectar and salt. Stir in cabbage and red onion and let sit at least 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine non-dairy sour cream, chipotle, garlic, lime, water and salt. Process until smooth.
- Cut each of the cooked filets in half lengthwise.
- Warm tortillas in a dry non-stick skillet, about 10 seconds per side. Place two filet halves on each of six tortillas. Place two tablespoons of the cabbage mixture and a drizzle of the chipotle cream on each of the filets. Top with any of the optional garnishes.