I thought I’d veganize a favorite from my youth, the Chicken Chimichangas from the Mexican restaurant chain, Chi-Chi’s.
While Chi-Chi’s still makes salsas and other products sold here in the United States, their restaurants ceased operations in North America more than 10 years ago.
But while I have fond memories of these oozing, leaden, football-sized fried burritos, it wasn’t exactly what I was going for in a recipe.
Instead of frying, these chimichangas are baked. In place of chicken, I use Beyond Meat’s plant-based grilled chik’n strips.
To make, fill tortillas with refried beans, shredded meatless “chicken,” non-dairy cheese and spices. Bake about 10 minutes until crispy and top with salsa and your other favorite burrito accompaniments.
They also freeze really well.
- 2 cups shredded vegan “chicken” (I use one 9-ounce package of Beyond Meat strips)
- 1 4.5-ounce can mild chopped green chiles
- 1 cup shredded non-dairy cheese (I use Daiya mozzarella)
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 15-ounce can refried beans (I use Amy’s organic with mild green chiles)
- 6 flour tortillas
- green salsa
- optional: non-dairy sour cream or avocado for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine vegan chicken, green chiles, non-dairy cheese, scallions, lime juice, oregano, cumin and cayenne and mix well.
- Place about 3 tablespoons of refried beans along the center of each tortilla. Top refried beans with ½-3/4 cup of the “chicken” mixture. Roll and place seam-side down in a baking dish. Bake 10 minutes. Serve topped with green salsa, non-dairy sour cream or avocado, if you like.