Truth be told, I’m not a huge sandwich person. But this is one of my favorites as it combines three simple ingredients: caramelized onions, chipotle hummus and avocado. Sautéed on the stovetop until hot and melty, it’s better than any grilled cheese I can remember.
Caramelized onions are one of the most underrated ingredients. To make them, slowly cook thinly-sliced onions until they become brown. There’s little bite of the onion remaining, just sweet-meets-savory concentrated flavors. You’ll be glad there are onions leftover in this recipe as they’re great on sandwiches, pastas, pizza…you name it.
Chipotles are dried smoked jalapeños. They’re often sold as ‘chipotles in adobo’ meaning they’re packed in a smoky adobo sauce. You’ll usually find them in 4.5-ounce cans that contain 10-15 chipotles. Since the hummus calls for just one, you can freeze the remaining peppers and adobo sauce in a freezer-friendly bag. Or, to save time, a spicy store-bought hummus will work fine.
- 6 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 T olive oil
- pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 t paprika
- ½ t ground cumin
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- ¼ t salt
- ¼ c Earth Balance spread
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions. Stir occasionally for about 15 minutes until onions brown and become caramelized. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
- While the onions are cooking, combine cannellini beans, chipotle, garlic, paprika, cumin, olive oil, lemon juice and salt in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of Earth balance on one side of each of the bread slices. On the non-buttered side of four slices, spread about ¼ cup of hummus, 2 tablespoons of caramelized onion and half of a sliced avocado. Top with another bread slice, buttered side up.
- Heat a large sauté pan. Cook each sandwich about 4 minutes per side. Serve warm.
This recipe is included in my Simple Vegan Meal Plans that features 20 easy recipes ready in less than 30 minutes.