Here’s a not-too-devastating admission. I tend to overstuff a burrito. And I do it to the point where it doesn’t roll up and I just end up ripping the tortilla about a quarter of the way through. So I toss the tortilla part because it’s ruined and just eat the filling.
All that culinary training and I can’t roll a burrito.
But I wanted to come up with a tidy breakfast burrito recipe for you to enjoy and my method clearly wasn’t working.
As I thought about developing a breakfast burrito recipe, my main issue was that there were about fifty things I wanted to jam in there. There was tofu, beans, and vegan sour cream. How about a chipotle sauce? And an avocado sauce! (You need at least two sauces). Then there had to be some ground veggie sausage. And rice. And who doesn’t love kale in burritos? How pretty would that be! Quinoa, too. But at this point, I was going to need a 64-inch tortilla, which I don’t think is commercially available.
I brought it back to the essentials. Some spicy scrambled tofu ‘eggs,’ fresh greens, avocado and a zingy hot sauce makes this a satisfying and manageable breakfast or brunch. These burritos aren’t breadloaf-sized, although that’s not really a bad thing. And you can always eat two.
To be honest, it pained me to leave out the black beans from this sensibly-sized breakfast burrito. But so you don’t run the risk of lacerating the tortilla during rollup, think about having some spicy black beans on the side.
The tofu looks a bit egg-like thanks to the yellow color of the turmeric, which also adds a nice flavor. I’ll leave it up to you as far as how much heat you’d like, but the sriracha jazzes it up nicely.
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ c yellow onion, diced
- 2 t garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, diced (seeds removed, if you like)
- ¾ c green bell pepper, diced
- 1 t turmeric
- 1 14 oz package extra firm tofu, pressed, crumbled
- ½ t salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 c fresh baby spinach
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 tortillas (the bigger the better).
- 2 fresh limes, quartered for garnish (optional)
- fresh cilantro leaves for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño and cook about a minute. Stir in green pepper and turmeric and cook another 2 minutes. Stir in crumbled tofu and cook another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- On each tortilla, layer baby spinach in a row slightly off center. Top with some of the tofu mixture. Layer ¼ of the avocado slices and some of the hot sauce to taste. Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime juice, if you like. Roll up burrito and enjoy.