In the past, I’ve had a tendency to add everything AND the kitchen sink to my tofu scramble. Herbs, spices, and the contents of my crisper can easily make their way into this beloved brunch recipe.
Truth is, however, I originally did this to obscure the taste of tofu. When not seasoned properly, tofu can be a bit bland. I figured if I threw enough stuff in there, I wouldn’t even notice it.
But that hardly seems like a good approach for a satisfying recipe.
With this tofu scramble, I discovered you don’t need so many ingredients. It just takes a few flavorful ones to make a delicious dish while keeping the integrity of the tofu.
Another important lesson I’ve learned about tofu scramble has to do with the consistency. I used to crumble the tofu into much smaller pieces. After sautéing for a few minutes with the vegetables, the tofu would break down further and become dense and crumbly. (Not especially appetizing). Now, I keep the pieces bigger when I add them to the pan. I want them to be stay soft and bite-sized, so I only stir as much as needed to coat with seasoning and heat through. Much better!
If you like a little heat, enjoy this tofu scramble with a dash of hot sauce. On the side, some baked sweet potato fries or a warm corn tortilla are nice additions.
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ c yellow onion, diced (about 1 small onion)
- 1 c green bell pepper, diced (about half of a pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, minced
- 1 t ground turmeric
- ½ t chili powder
- ¼ t salt
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu, drained
- 2 t soy sauce
- 2 c fresh baby spinach, packed
- 2 t lemon juice
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Add green bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño and cook another minute. Stir in turmeric, chili powder and salt and stir another minute. Crumble tofu into pan in bite-sized chunks. Cook about 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce and spinach and cook until spinach is bright green and wilted. Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat. Top with freshly ground pepper, if you like.
Looking for more quick meal ideas? Try my Simple Vegan Meal Plans for just $9.99.