This easy vegan alfredo sauce is made from raw cashews. If you have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix, there’s no need to soak the cashews. In fact, you can make the sauce while the pasta cooks and dinner is ready in less than 15 minutes.
I used frozen peas in this recipe, because that seems to be a classic alfredo pairing. Truth be told, I’m more of a broccoli person. (Peas can be a bit too sweet for me). But as long as there’s something green in there, I’m happy.
I like the Banza chickpea pasta. It’s gluten free, made from chickpeas and comes in several different shapes.
This vegan alfredo has a consistency much like your traditional alfredo. But if you find after heating it thickens too much, you can always add a bit more water.
Some vegan recipes call for non-dairy milk, but I think even the unsweetened, unflavored ones add strange flavors. I use water instead.
This is a clean, straightforward alfredo sauce. The lemon and cayenne add a bit of spice. I like to add some fresh parsley, fresh ground pepper, vegan parm (packaged or homemade) and/or some nutritional yeast on top.
Creamier dishes like this are also good served with some greens and a sharp vinaigrette.
For another take on a vegan alfredo, check out this version made with roasted red peppers.
- 8 oz pasta
- 1 c frozen peas
- 1 c raw cashews
- 2 c water
- 1 T tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1½ T lemon juice
- ⅛ t cayenne
- ½ t salt
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh parsley for serving (optional)
- vegan parm or nutritional yeast for serving (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Steam peas according to package instructions.
- Soak raw cashews in hot water for an hour and drain. (If using a high-speed blender, you can skip this step). In a blender combine cashews, 2 cups water, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cayenne and salt. Process until very smooth and transfer to a medium pot.
- Heat sauce in medium pot for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Toss with cooked pasta and peas. Top with fresh ground pepper, fresh parsley and vegan parm, if you like.