I love Thai food, but often the recipes can be time-consuming and many include non-vegan ingredients.
But, you can make a quick, hearty and flavorful yellow vegan Thai curry in just a few minutes.
The trick is using premade curry paste. Sometimes you’ll find that red and green curry paste contain fish sauce or shrimp paste. However, the yellow curry paste, with its lemongrass, galangal and turmeric, is often free of animal products.
In this recipe, I combine yellow curry paste, veggies, tofu and coconut milk into a delicious dish in under thirty minutes. And as you prepare the curry, your rice can steam.
Notes on prep: Packaged curry paste brands vary in terms of heat and salt. In this recipe, I found that the curry paste wasn’t spicy enough, so I added some sriracha sauce at the end which perked the dish right up. Alternatively, you can add some finely diced jalapeno at the beginning of the cooking process along with the garlic and ginger.
Also, while curry paste contains salt, I felt this dish needed some additional saltiness in the form of soy sauce, also added at the end.
Garnish with lime wedges, fresh Thai basil (if available), traditional basil or cilantro. Serve with jasmine rice.
Interested in saving time while still eating healthy? My Under 30-Minute Vegan Meal Plans features easy vegan recipes and handy shopping lists for $9.99.
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 c white onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T ginger, minced
- 1 c carrot, sliced in rounds
- 1½ c white mushrooms, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 c red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 T yellow curry paste
- 1 14-ounce can lite coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu, pressed, drained, cut in ¾-inch cubes
- ½ c water
- 1 T soy sauce or tamari
- 1 t sriracha (or other hot sauce)
- 2 T lime juice
- lime wedges, fresh Thai basil, traditional basil or cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium. Stir in onion, garlic and ginger and cook about one minute. Stir in carrot, mushrooms, and bell pepper and cook about 2 more minutes, stirring regularly. Stir in curry paste and cook another minute.
- Add coconut milk, tofu and water and continue stirring another minute.
- Cover and lower heat to low, simmering for ten minutes.
- Uncover and taste for salt and spice. Add soy sauce and sriracha.
- Stir in lime juice. Serve over rice and garnish with lime wedges and/or fresh herbs, if you like.