Is it a dip…a sauce…a condiment? Whatever you end up calling it, I surprised myself with the versatility of this creamy vegan nacho cheese sauce recipe.
Dip raw veggies or chips in it. Drizzle it warmed on top of steamed broccoli, cauliflower, or a medley of roasted vegetables. This recipe would make a great cheezy pasta sauce, tossed with cooked macaroni, topped with breadcrumbs and baked until crispy. Got some left over? You could also try it on pizza, burritos, or gooped onto a burger or tofu dog. No idea is a bad one with this sauce.
Best of all, it stores beautifully in the refrigerator or freezer.
Raw cashews serve as the base of this easy sauce that blends up in seconds. You may already know that raw cashews can easily be transformed into creamy sweet and savory recipes. (I always have them in the house). And unlike a traditional dairy cheese sauce, it maintains its smooth consistency whether warm or cold.
I blended the recipe’s ingredients in the Vitamix in under 30 seconds. A traditional blender works fine, but may take a bit longer. Feel free to add in a little extra heat by sprinkling with additional cayenne or a squirt of hot sauce.
- 1 c raw cashews, soaked in 2 cups water for 2-4 hours, drained and rinsed
- ¼ c roasted red peppers, diced (I used jarred)
- ¼ c green chiles, diced (I used canned)
- 2 T nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 t lemon juice
- 1 c water
- ¼-1/2 t cayenne
- ½ t sea salt
- In a Vitamix, combine drained cashews, red peppers, green chiles, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, water, cayenne and sea salt. Blend until smooth, occasionally scraping the sides to make sure it’s thoroughly mixed.